An aspirin can help those who have normal headaches but it won’t be of any help to those who experience migraine. The medicines for migraine have not only side effects which can be from stomach ulcers to nausea to even strokes but are also not that effective as reported by migraine patients. The overstimulation of the brain cells leads to swelling and inflammation of blood vessels in the brain and neck area. Following are a few natural cures that can be used to reduce as well as to prevent the migraine attacks.
- Vitamin B2 also called Riboflavin is found in supplements as well as in certain types of food. It produces energy and protects the cells from oxidative damage. In certain tests, 59% of patients who for 3 months took 400 mg of this daily reported to have 50% reduction in their migraine attacks. Riboflavin is an effective method if taken in the quantity prescribed to prevent migraine. However it is no guarantee against the length and severity of a headache like migraine attack when it strikes. Riboflavin helps in absorbing other important nutrients by the body including vitamin B1 which helps in increasing riboflavin levels. Riboflavin is found in foods like yogurt, almonds, broccoli, eggs, and sprouts.
- If one takes Omega-3 fats on a daily basis then it has been found to be effective against migraines. This is found in nuts, seeds and especially fish. These fatty acids not only reduce inflammation but also protect the brain cells and reduce the pain. The sources from which they can be obtained are mostly fishes like herring, mackerel, salmon, and tuna; found in flax seeds, walnuts and chia seeds. Omega -3 fats are fragile so care should be taken in storing them if consuming in the form of capsules.
- Exercising is the best form of combating migraine but one should be careful in not overdoing it as excess exercise can trigger off migraine. Mild to moderate exercise is good for health. Endorphins are released during exercise which acts as a mild sedative.
- Feverfew is a herb which together with another herb called white willow bark helps fight migraine. It reduces the throbbing pain as well as reduces the feeling of nausea and vomiting. One should consult a doctor regarding the dosage of this herb and one should not take this herb if pregnant.
- Magnesium is found in various kinds of foods and is helpful in relaxing nerves and muscles. It does not let the nerves become overexcited and thereby reduces as well as prevents migraine. Foods that contain magnesium are flaxseeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, black beans and spinach.
- The antioxidant nutrient called Coenzyme Q10 is important for blood vessels. It protects cells from oxidative damage, improves circulation and blood flow is increased to the brain. Since low blood sugar cause migraine, this nutrient regularizes blood sugar. Foods where it can be found are whole grains, organ meats and fish.
- The amino acid tryptophan produces 5-hydroxytryptophan in our bodies. This helps in increasing the production of serotonin by our body which keeps migraine at bay.